Monday, March 14, 2011

Introducing Jessie Fioritto

Today, we have Jessie Fioritto, an Assistant Managing Editor for Barbour, here to tell us more about herself.

How long have you worked at Barbour?
Since September 2010

What do you do in your current role at Barbour?
I’m one of the assistant managing editors. I review proofread manuscripts and handle the proofreading schedule.

What brought you to Barbour?
After I finished my copy editing certificate, I found the job listing posted on Barbour’s website.

What interests you about the publishing industry?
I have always loved to read. I have many cherished books from my childhood. I love being a part of producing more stories for others to fall in love with. I enjoy polishing others’ writing, and I’m very much a detail person.

Family/Home Life?
I live in Coshocton, Ohio, with my husband, Nic, and our two dogs. Our Chihuahua is named Chica, and our fox terrier is named Starbucks. Yes, like the coffee.

What’s your favorite food?
No question—chocolate. I have a hidden stash!

What's your favorite vacation spot?
Every year my entire family goes to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. My dad went there with his dad when he was little. It’s so beautiful in the mountains. We go kayaking, water skiing, and tubing. We even get in some family yoga.

What are your hobbies?
I love to read, but I also like to get my hands dirty. I have renovated houses with my dad since I was a kid. I also decorate wedding and birthday cakes.


Thanks for joining us, Jessie!


7 comments:

Amber Holcomb said...

Nice to meet you, Jessie! :)

I was wondering... I'm hoping to work for a Christian publishing company after I graduate from college. (I'll be graduating with a B.S. in English next spring.) What is your highest level of education and how did you get your copy editing certificate?

Thank you!

~Amber

Erica Vetsch said...

It's so nice to meet you. I'm really enjoying these introductions and getting to put faces and personalities to the names. :)

Barbara Curtis said...

Thanks for sharing your interview, Jessie. I was also wondering the same thing--where/how you got your copy editing certificate? How wonderful that you can use it at Barbour!

Carla Gade said...

Nice to meet you Jessie!

Anonymous said...

Hi all,
Thanks for your comments and questions! I took an indirect route to working here at Barbour. I actually have a BS in neuroscience and completed a year of medical school before deciding that I wanted to pursue something different. I received my copyediting certificate online from UC San Diego. Their program is very helpful and convenient as it's all online.

Barbara Curtis said...

Jessie,
Thank you for the information about the editing program. I've heard of that program once before, so it's nice to hear of someone else who has also taken it and can vouch for it.
Thanks!

Ronie Kendig said...

So great to meet you, Jessie! Thank you for all your hard work on our behalf!!