Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Rest from My Labors

No, I didn't spend my Labor Day holiday packing away my white shoes and summer clothes. Instead, I reveled in the company of my two Texan grandkids. Life doesn't get much better than this, let me tell you. David has a continuing education conference in San Antonio all this week, so we left Ohio a few days early and joined up with our Dallas-based wing of the family for the long weekend. We hit all the tourist attractions. . .strolled up and down the Riverwalk, took a boat ride, toured the Alamo, and tromped through SEAWORLD--several times. By no stretch of the imagination could I say I rested. By the time the kiddos loaded into their car and headed back to Dallas, my body screamed for a nap. But oh, did my spirit feel refreshed!

As a writer, whenever I felt the need to take a break from the craft of writing, I would turn my attentions to another aspect of the trade--research, proof-reading, revisions, or marketing. Just a short break always seemed to energize my creative spirit, even though the different work venue might have proven physically or emotionally exhausting.

I hope you were able to find moments of refreshing this Labor Day weekend. While I head off to my closet to pack away the whites for another season, I'll leave you with a couple of pics of two of my favorite Energizer Bunnies! SKD



4 comments:

Kristy Dykes said...

What a wonderful Labor Day! They are just darling. Thanks for sharing the pics with us and also your wonderful day.

Mary Connealy said...

Great pictures, Susan. The look of wonder in the first picture and the big shoes in the second. Perfect.
You know resting isn't restful so much as a change of pace is restful, I've decided that about vacations. You don't take a few days off to sleep unless you're sick. But the change is energizing.
I've found a lot of fun in changing from book to book, books I'm writing, to reenergize.
I've just finished the third HP I'm writing and I need to do revisions but not just yet.
I turned my attention to a historical romantic comedy instead and I just felt myself fall into it. The thumb pushing up the brim of the Stetson. The jingle of the spurs. I couldn't help but smile as I made him say, "I reckon" for the first time.
Now I've got a start on that and some distance from the HP, I'm ready to go back and polish it with some enthusiasm.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Love your precious and laugh-out-loud pictures, Susan. My 'baby' is in New Orleans and sick. She got a huge shot yesterday, and called to remind me of the last time she had to have one. We both cried. The nurse said she didn't know who was worse - mom or daughter.

I hope you all keep sharing family pics. I love them. Even though they're yours--they conjure up memories of mine. :)

Jara said...

Susan, we had so much fun with you both! Hope you are enjoying the rest of your week there in San Antonio! The kids started school yesterday and it went very well! We miss ya'll! Love ya!