Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Best Use of Your Time


I'm not traveling much this year. It feels kind of odd not having a trip every month, but I had really looked forward to getting many projects caught up at work and at home. June is about the halfway mark through the year, and I don't have great progress to report. Where does time go?

Time is a precious commodity that I hate to lose, but I sure am good at wasting it. With busy people, though, it seems the busier we are the more we get done. Hopefully.

I know that if I were running around the country chasing down authors at regional conferences I'd meet a couple dozen fiction writers at each. But when the number of writers is small, the likelihood of meeting an author who is going to be my next contract is slim.

When I consider being a good steward of my time, I think about the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) conference. The writing group has been a real blessing for this fiction editor. Not only does it provide me a one-stop-shopping conference to attend, but because of this group, I'm seeing a much higher quality of book proposals these days. Seeing ACFW in a writer's bio is generally a good sign to me.

As ACFW broadens, the tools available to aspiring authors become invaluable: classes both at conferences and online, a network with experienced authors, willing mentors, critique aides, emotional/spiritual support, and much more.

I've attended this writers conference from the start and look forward to it each year. No where else can I visit with a larger gathering of my established authors in one place. No where else can I connect with a larger majority of those faceless email correspondents. No where else do I have a larger pool in which to fish for new authors. No where else can I have so much fun while "working." If I had to choose only one conference to attend, this would definitely be it.

So if you are debating whether or not to go to Dallas this year, set aside all your doubts and go for it. I guarantee the experience will give your writing the boost you are looking for.

Here's the link: www.americanchristianfictionwriters.com

See you there,
Becky

3 comments:

Cara Putman said...

Thanks, Becky. It is a great conference. And I know I wouldn't be one of your authors without ACFW. For that I'll always be grateful!

Unknown said...

ACFW has blessed me in so many ways, and I know I wouldn't be where I am today in my career without the organization and the awesome teachers they provide. I'm so looking forward to conference this year. It's nice to see everyone again, get in some awesome fellowship, great classes, and network with other writers. It's one of the true highlights of my year.

Vickie McDonough said...

I've been to a number of Christian writers conferences, and ACFW's is the best by far. I've learned so much from the excellent speakers and from hearing the editors talk, but the best thing is networking with other writers. I'm looking forward to going again this year.

I know without a doubt that I'm published today because of what I've learned through ACFW and through networking with the people I've met there.

If you're waffling about going to the ACFW conference, go. It will be the best choice you could make for your writing career.