Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What to Do to Unwind?


When I really want to unwind, I go to another place and time.

Thanks to Netflix, I've been taking a trip to England 1880 through the series called Lark Rise to Candleford. Season 1 has 10 segments, and I found it quite charming. I'm anxious for Season 2 to release.

My favorite escape movies include these:
  • North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book)
  • Wives and Daughters (also based on an Elizabeth Gaskell book)
  • Cranford (again based on an Elizabeth Gaskell book - need to buy)
  • Pride and Prejudice (the A&E version being the favorite)
  • Persuasion (1995)
  • Sense and Sensibility (I think the new BBC TV version has actually become my favorite)
  • Jane Eyre (2006)
  • Emma (I like elements from both 1997 and 1999 ones, but still need to see the 2009 one)
  • Bleak House (based on Dickens book I never knew much about)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
  • Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea
  • The Inheritance (based on a book by Louisa May Alcott and set in America)

That pretty much covers the go-to movies I own, I think. Do you sense a theme?

My poor mother, though, is starting to lose her hearing and trying to decipher British accents can be a real annoyance for her.

So, what do you do to unwind?

Or, what movies help to transport you to a place of rest?

11 comments:

Jan Cline said...

I would say golf, but sometimes that can rile me up! Actually, reading and writing and watching old movies. I think a lot of people are getting addicted to Netflix!

Aaron McCarver said...

When I really want to let everything go, old movies are great. "The Sound of Music" and "It's a Wonderful Life" are my favorites. I love most of the old musicals and family movies like "Yours, Mine, and Ours" (Lucille Ball version) and "Pollyanna." I also enjoy many of the modern fantasy movies like the Narnia movies and Lord of the Rings. And I enjoy some of the superhero movies, but these later ones don't really do that much to help me unwind. The best thing for that is a Christian historical fiction novel. There is nothing better!

Vickie McDonough said...

When I want to unwind, I read or watch a movie. My favs are Everafter, Far & Away, The Man From Snowy River, & While You Were Sleeping.

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Gee except for the last 3 movies which I haven't seen you stole my list LOL! Lark Rise to Candleford is excellent, I've seen the first half of Series 2 and they are really good too! I hope you enjoy it when you get to see it!

xoxo~ Renee

Erica Vetsch said...

I love to escape into movies. My go-to films are LOTR, any John Wayne western, or The Cadfael mysteries.

Debra E. Marvin said...

Thanks Becky for the suggestion. My list is pretty much like yours. I own the same movies and feel like I'm missing friends if I don't see go to the 19th Century at least once a week.

Looking forward to trying out something new--I'd never heard of Lark Rise to Crandleford before.

I bought Bleak House for myself for Christmas. (40% coupon at Borders couldn't be ignored!) An amazing series!

Debra E. Marvin said...

Okay, I just went to Netflix, signed up for the first series and it showed up on my queue as "long wait"! And season two will be out in Feb.

Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Becky, Thanks for the movie/series recommendation. If you like those, then you'll have to try the Masterpiece Theater series Little Dorrit, based on a book by Charles Dickens. It's wonderful! I believe there are 4 DVDs - 12 episodes. It's set in England in the early 1800's and has secrets, a murder mystery, family saga, and of course, romance. Love the hero and heroine!

Other favorites - While you were Sleeping, Kate and Leopold, 13 going on 30, Runaway Bride, Anne of Green Gables, and the Christy Series.

Jennifer Johnson said...

I love to play Minesweeper or Spider Solitaire to unwind...silly, I know. My ALL-TIME favorite movie is A&E's Pride and Prejudice. I absolutely LOVE it!!! :)

Becky said...

I do unwind with Spider Solitaire too.

Little Dorrit is the next one I'm watching. I just got the first DVD a couple days ago, but no time to watch it yet.

Mary Connealy said...

I just can barely watch a movie. I just read and read and read. And then I write. :)
I know, I oughta go take a walk.

I just got my RITA books, so that's sort of interesting because they're not my choices so it gets me OUT of my own genre a bit, which is good for me...and my rut.