When I really want to unwind, I go to another place and time.
Thanks to Netflix, I've been taking a trip to England 1880 through the series called Lark Rise to Candleford. Season 1 has 10 segments, and I found it quite charming. I'm anxious for Season 2 to release.
My favorite escape movies include these:
- North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book)
- Wives and Daughters (also based on an Elizabeth Gaskell book)
- Cranford (again based on an Elizabeth Gaskell book - need to buy)
- Pride and Prejudice (the A&E version being the favorite)
- Persuasion (1995)
- Sense and Sensibility (I think the new BBC TV version has actually become my favorite)
- Jane Eyre (2006)
- Emma (I like elements from both 1997 and 1999 ones, but still need to see the 2009 one)
- Bleak House (based on Dickens book I never knew much about)
- The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
- Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea
- The Inheritance (based on a book by Louisa May Alcott and set in America)
That pretty much covers the go-to movies I own, I think. Do you sense a theme?
My poor mother, though, is starting to lose her hearing and trying to decipher British accents can be a real annoyance for her.
So, what do you do to unwind?
Or, what movies help to transport you to a place of rest?