Friday, January 9, 2009

Christmas Memories

Wow, it feels like a long time since I’ve blogged! I sure had a wonderful Christmas season and a lovely break from work to just relax and enjoy family. Maybe you won’t mind if I post some pictures of Jodi’s second Christmas. :)I’ll share them at the end.

A couple years ago, an author sent me a book called Christmas Memories: Our Family Christmas Journal. It has prompts to remember where we gathered, who was present, what special traditions we enjoyed, etc. Do you have one of these books? It’s such a nice, simple way to record the special moments of the holiday season.

In 2008, Doug, Jodi, and I started a new tradition for our little family of having a birthday celebration for Jesus. It was simple this year with just a cake and singing Happy Birthday. And who knows how much Jodi understood besides the fact that she got to eat cake right before bedtime! But we hope to grow that tradition each year with better ideas and ways to give to Jesus during the season we celebrate His birth.

What was your most treasured memory from this past Christmas season? Do your Christmas memories and traditions find their way into your stories?

I hope this past season gave you many treasured moments and that you’re all having a wonderful start to 2009, trusting that God has great plans for you!

7 comments:

Debby Mayne said...

I love your new tradition, JoAnne! It gives children something to celebrate and puts the focus where it belongs.

Thanks for the pictures of Jodi! What a precious child! She's growing so quickly.

Mary Connealy said...

JoAnne, Jodi is just so beautiful.

I love that journal idea. I might get one for my soon-to-be-born 1st Grandchild. It might make a nice tradition to give each new family one as they add a baby.

Erica Vetsch said...

Love the picture of Jodi by the Christmas tree, and it must warm your heart to see her interested in books.

My favorite Christmas memory of 2008, as always, it was the Christmas Eve service at church. I look forward to that service all year. It's so intimate and focused and solemn, but joyous and expectant at the same time.

Anonymous said...

When my son was born on New Year's Eve 2001, a friend gave us a book, The Tale Of The Three Trees. It's such a lovely book and if anyone hasn't heard the story, I'd suggest they get it. The next year, my husband, the pastor started a tradtion. Every year at our church Christmas party, he reads the book. Since it's a picture book, he reads each page, then shows everyone the picture. The smallest children to the oldest adults are always enthralled. Halfway through, his voice starts cracking every time and soon there are no dry faces in the house.
I never dreamed that I would meet the author, Angela Hunt, keynote speaker at the ACFW conference in 2008. I told her of our tradition and how much we love the book. She was very gracious as I stammered and stuttered.

Shannon Vannatter

CatMom said...

JoAnne, that's such a wonderful tradition you've started and years from now you'll be especially glad you did! Every year on Christmas Eve I read the Christmas story from Luke to my children(now 24,21,and 17!). I began that tradition when my oldest, Amy (who Jodi reminds me of at that age) was a newborn. Such a special time for us!~ Thanks for sharing those sweet pictures of Jodi- - what a DOLL !! ~ Blessings, Patti Jo Moore

Carrie Turansky said...

Oh, I loved those photos of Jodi and Christmas at your house.

Christmas traditions are a wonderful way to make memories with your family. One of our favorites is bringing out our collection of Christmas Read-aloud books each December. It feels like we are seeing dear old friends when we bring them out. : )

Happy New Year!
Carrie

Carrie Turansky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.