Monday, December 29, 2008

A New Year's Prayer


Dear Lord,

I thank You for the blessings of another Christmas season and the opportunities it brought to refocus my attention on You. Please, accept my adoration and praise once again. Now, as I look forward to the birth of a new year, reflecting on 2008 and planning for 2009, may my overriding goal and desire be to draw ever closer to You.
If the past year tells me anything about the one to come, I know 2009 will bring plenty of changes--some good, some not-so-good. But I also know that I serve a God who never changes, the Great I Am.

When I watch little 2-month-old Malakai, I often ponder the idea that he is not expected to DO anything. . .just BE, and that is enough. I love him just because he IS. I simply enjoy his presence and find pleasure in his company. He brings a smile to my face as I watch him sleep.

So often, I get caught up in all the doing that must be done. But as I enter a new year with You, I pray I will remember that You love me just for me and You desire the presence of my company above all my work and striving, even for good.

Dear Lord, in the midst of another year of deadlines and schedules and book releases and e-mails, I pray I won't lose sight of my primary goal and resolution for 2009--to draw ever closer to You and spend time just being in Your Presence.

Amen.

10 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

A beautiful prayer and gentle reminder.

Thank you, Susan, and have a blessed New Year.

CatMom said...

Thank you for sharing this prayer, Susan. Thank you also for sharing the sweet picture of your precious grandbaby - -oh those darling chubby cheeks!! What a blessing he is, I'm sure.
Happy New Year,
Patti Jo

Carrie Turansky said...

What a wonderful prayer. I loved the photo and inspiring thoughts for the New Year. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

NancyMehl said...

Amen, Susan. It is all about Him, isn't it?

In the upcoming year, I intend to keep my eyes focused on Him - not the "things" of life. My prayer is to be more like Mary this year - and less like Martha.

God bless you,

Nancy

B. J. Robinson said...

Beautiful baby. Your message reminds me of how I've drawn closer to God through writing my novel and reading my Bible more to learn more of His Word. I pray He uses my books to touch others' lives and hearts for His Kingdom. I keep up with Kristy Dyke's blog, a lady I greatly admire and respect. She illustrated faith, love, and courage until the very end. Her life, her death, her books, and her blog have inspired many people, and I know she's made a difference through all these avenues for others. I pray I can make half the difference she has, and I know I will have furthered God's Kingdom through my writing.

Blessings and prayers,
Barb
http://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

AMEN!

Crystal Laine said...

I love this photo of such a sweet-cheeked sleeping boy. It's been so long since we've had sleeping baby boys in our house! It does remind me how we love some people just for "being" in our lives--they don't even have to "do" anything for us.

Thank you for sharing your prayer for 2009. I've been thinking over my goals and resolutions for the coming year and it's given more food for thought on what I will concentrate upon as important.

Anonymous said...

It is neat how he can just "be." This morning I thought of you when I came across a photo of a man snuggling a sleeping baby. It had this caption:

Mighty things from small beginnings grow.--John Dryden

This applies to so many parts of life, like writing, friendship, prayer and romance, too.

Mary Connealy said...

Beautiful thought, beautiful prayer, beautiful baby.

I am NINE DAYS out from being a Grandmother...less if my very VERY tired-of-being-pregnant daughter has her say.

Susan said...

Keep us posted on your Grandma Countdown, Mary! I'm praying for your daughter AND for you!