Today is December 12, so I thought I’d share twelve of my favorite Christmas stories or movies, the ones I could watch or read again and again. Here they are in no particular order.
- A Christmas Carol – The one by the Muppets is by far my favorite version.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – I used to hate this movie when I was a kid, but now I love it.
- White Christmas – Another one I used to hate but love now.
- Skipping Christmas by John Grisham – The book is so much better than Christmas with the Kranks.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – so inappropriate, yet so funny
- Home Alone 1 and 2 - and yes, even 3, but definitely not 4
- Elf – I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve watched this.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – the classic original book and show, not the Jim Carrey version
- The Santa Clause movies – “Ho, Ho, Ho” as only Tim the Toolman can say it
- The Birds’ Christmas Carol by Kate Douglas Wiggin – This is such a bittersweet, beautiful Christmas story. I bought an old copy at a library book sale when I was probably 10 or 12 and have loved it ever since. You can read it online here.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – I tear up at Linus’ adorable voice quoting scripture from Luke 2….
- …which of course is my very favorite Christmas story, the only piece of nonfiction on my list. “That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”
What are your favorite Christmas movies and stories?