Friday, November 14, 2008

Bookworm

Have I mentioned how much Jodi loves books? Whether she’s begging me or Doug or “reading” by herself, she’s often toting a book around the house. Last night I almost slept on a hardback by Big Bird that Jodi had left in my bed earlier that evening. I smiled myself to sleep thinking how much it warms my mommy/editor heart that she’s a bookworm already. I hope she is forever.

As I help Jodi love to read, I’ve been realizing the importance of encouraging her to value one Book in particular above all the others. I try in little ways now. Her favorite song of the moment is “The B-I-B-L-E”, and we read stories about Creation and Noah and baby Jesus. Oh, and she adores her babyfaith DVDs. But I’m sure it will grow harder as she gets older and more of the world starts vying for her attention. I know what a challenge it is for me to keep God’s Word as my favorite and most read book.

There are SO many books out there I want to read. And these days I struggle to find time to read anything that isn’t something for work or a children’s book. But there’s one Book that matters most. As Christians, let’s remind each other that everything we do should flow from our knowledge of, love for, and time spent in God’s Word. Let’s strive to be not just bookworms, but Bible-worms first of all. :)

I’m seeing my favorite band, Caedmon’s Call, tonight, and I’ll end with some lyrics from one of their wonderful songs. Have a fabulous weekend.

“We delight in the law of your Word
We delight in the Son who was perfect from birth
We delight in the day He's returning to earth
Hallelujah”

5 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

JoAnne, I've never seen these Baby Faith DVDs before. As a soon to be GRANDMA, I am extremely interested in them.

Do you think Jodie is old enough? I mean you must, but I'd love to get something like this for the baby, we need a picture first right? :) So I'd better wait until she's born.

When did you start Jodie on them?

Mary Connealy said...

Or, wait, do you not get the personalized ones?
I didn't look past them the first time I went to the site.

JoAnne said...

Hey Mary,
No, Jodi doesn't have the personalized ones. She has God Made Me, Animals, Music, Babies, Families, and we just got God Made Christmas in the mail today. She absolutely LOVES them. I would recommend them to any parent. She's been watching them since she was about 4 months old. I realize that admission opens me up to a whole debate about kids watching TV too early, but I think in moderation it's perfectly fine, especially when she's learning about the Bible! :)

Lauralee Bliss said...

Like mother, like daughter. :)
Maybe even an editor in the making!

CatMom said...

Oh my, JoAnne ! I almost cried when I saw that precious picture of Jodi....she looks SO MUCH like my Amy did at that age(Amy recently turned 24 *gasp*).~ I wish all toddlers were surrounded by books. When I taught Kindergarten I couldn't emphasize enough to parents how IMPORTANT it is to read with children when they're very young.~Your message about the Bible was a great reminder for us all! Blessings,
Patti Jo :)