Monday, April 21, 2008

Introducing. . .YOLANDA CHUMNEY

This week's Barbour employee interviewee brings laughter and sunshine to our editorial team. Allow me to introduce you to typesetter, Yolanda Chumney.

Job Assignment/Duties at Barbour:
As typesetter, my job responsibilities include the typesetting and laying out of the text for new and repackaged books, making all corrections from proofreaders, as well as making corrections to books going back to press as reprints. I also scan, improve, and place images as needed, work with the sponsoring editor in cases of questionable design or content, and prepare finished files and disks for printer.

How long have you worked at Barbour?
In May, it will be 2 years

What are your dreams for Barbour’s future?
I hope Barbour will continue to prosper and grow.

What is your favorite task associated with your job description? Least favorite?
My favorite task is helping design the interior of the books, and I guess my least favorite would be correcting all of the proofreader corrections....and even that isn’t too bad.

Do you ever find time to read for pleasure? If so, what book have you read recently?
I love to read, and I just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Husseini

Can you tell us briefly about your family and life outside of Barbour?
I have an 8 year old son, Evan, who keeps me very busy.

What church do you attend?
I’m actually searching for a church, but I used to go to First Baptist in New Philadelphia

Do you have a favorite quote that motivates you these days?I see hope in all things.

6 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, Yolanda. I just went through my gallies for Calico Canyon. That's after the typesetter performs their magic on the manuscript, right? I had little flowers between scene breaks in Petticoat Ranch. Now I have snowflakes for Calico Canyon. I love the way it looks.

NancyMehl said...

Hi, Yolanda! So you help to fix all our little goofs, huh?

Not that I have any. But Mary... Well, that's another story.

Thanks for all your hard work. We appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
Yes, you have the result of the typesetters magic! I can't take the credit for those... Sharon set those. I've read most of Petticoat Ranch and I think it's a wonderful romantic book.
Have a great day!
Yolanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
I set all of the Heartsong Mystery books and make all of the corrections. I don't mind any of it though. I enjoy it and I think the Heartsong Mystery club is going to be a great success! Especially since we have awesome authors!
Have a great day!
Yolanda

Ausjenny said...

Hi Yolanda, its nice to get to know people who work to help produce the books.
sounds like you really enjoy your job.

Pam Hillman said...

Sorry I'm late, but nice to "meet" you Yolanda! Thanks for making the inside of Mary's books cute!

Ducking and running from Mary.

lol

Seriously, Petticoat Ranch is a keeper.