Monday, April 7, 2008

Introducing. . .SUSAN STEIN

Position at Barbour:
Human Resource Manager
How long have you worked at Barbour?
This is my 24th year at Barbour Publishing. I started as the only “office girl” in our Uhrichsville office. We had accounting, billing, etc. in Westwood, NJ in the early days.
What has been the biggest change (hopefully positive!) you’ve seen in your years with the company?
I have seen MANY changes over the years--moving all office operations to Ohio, the additions of office and warehouse space, our order-picking system. . .the list goes on.
What is your favorite task associated with your job description? Least favorite?
My favorite task is meeting new folks who come to work with us. I do also enjoy projects that come my way, gathering info, etc. Sometimes it’s like putting a puzzle together. I don’t have a least favorite task, but any given day I could come up with a new “challenge.” LOL
What project is consuming your energies this month? My current energy consumer is finding a new Trade Customer Service Rep and a new Publicist.
Do you ever find time to read for pleasure? If so, what book have you read recently?
I really don’t have time to read for pleasure except for the local morning newspaper with a cup of coffee. I do try to grab the Barbour cookbooks and find some new recipe ideas.
Can you tell us briefly about your family?
My husband Paul & I will celebrate our 20th anniversary this October. We have a daughter, Lexi, who will soon be 15 and a son, Hunter, who is 11 (and a Jack Russell Terrier named Chocolate Chip, my 3rd kid.)
What church do you attend?
We attend Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Dover, OH.
Do you have a favorite quote that motivates you these days?I don’t have a quote, but I’m liking Ashley’s. I just watched “Amazing Grace”, the story about William Wilberforce and I agree.

3 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Wow, Susan, my only frame of reference for Human Resources is Dogbert evil HR Director, in the Dilbert cartoon.

So, does he make your life harder???

It's very nice to me someone in HR.

I have raised four daughters. If you need some help, contact me off the blog and I can talk you through the next couple of years.

Myra Johnson said...

Yea, another Lutheran! Nice to get to know you, Susan. Wow, 24 years at Barbour. Congratulations!

A teenage daughter--oh, the memories! I raised two girls of my own. And I can vouch for Mary's expertise in the raising-daughters department. She could probably write a book!

Oops, I guess she did!

squiresj said...

So you don't have time for reading for pleasure - you need to make time. It refreshes, uplifts, and encourages one along the way.
Office work - I well remember those days. But at 58 with rhuemotoid arthritis no one would hire me anymore so I am here to encourage authors and others and my computer is my friend.
God Bless.