Monday, March 10, 2008

Retreat!

I spent Saturday curled up in front of a blazing fire and counting my blessings as my husband and I watched the snow mount on our deck. In the ten years I've lived in Ohio, this had to be the heaviest snowfall I've seen. Thankfully, we had no place we had to be. (Church was cancelled on Sunday as well.) For over an hour, we tried a team approach to shoveling the drive, but the effort proved futile. We finally gave up and called our neighbor's son to bring in his snow plow. The mountain of white stuff at the base of our drive will likely be there till June!

I'm hoping for dry and sunny skies this coming weekend as, on Thursday, I don my writer-hat and board a plane, headed south to Hardy, Arkansas. There I'll join my critique group buds for a writers' retreat followed, on Saturday, by a group booksigning at the local bookstore/coffeeshop, Words and Afterwords. Since all five of us (moi, Susan Warren, Rachel Hauck, Tracey Bateman, and Christine Lynxwiler) have Barbour books on the market right now, I think the mayor should proclaim Saturday as Barbour Day in Hardy, don't you? If you're in the area, please stop by and visit. We begin the day with a Writer Q&A session at 10 a.m., followed by the booksigning at 11. You can learn more by going to the "Events" tab on the Word bookstore's Web site: http://www.wordsafterwords.com/events.html

Susan Downs

7 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Susan this sounds so great. I love spending time with writers!!!
I don't get to do that much.

Sorry about the snow fall. It seems that winter with NEVER END.

Wandering Writer said...

Susan, your picture almost matches the one on my blogspot. We had about 24". I'm a little farther north than you and we have that wonderful "lake effect" too.

Have a great time in Arkansas. Hopefully their 4-6" will be melted by the time you get there.

Beth Goddard said...

I wondered how the Barbie girls were doing in all that snow! Hope this weekend is sunny for you:)
Beth

NancyMehl said...

Susan,

Of course, all that snow sounds wonderful to me. I am a snow nut!

Hope you have a wonderful time with your writer friends. Time to recharge the batteries!

Nancy

Lynette Sowell said...

Woo. Now that's snow. :) Have a GREAT time on your trip. I love seeing my Centex ACFW buds every month. You can't beat seeing writer friends face-to-face. :)

Unknown said...

Snow? What's snow? It's 69 degrees with bright sunny skies here in the Houston area today. Pretty chilly, in light of recent higher temps. (Just kidding, we actually had a cool spell come through a few days ago.)

Still, I wouldn't know what snow looked like if you hadn't sent the picture. Interesting looking stuff. Looks like it gets in the way of things, though. :)

Darlene Franklin said...

We're half way through the snowiest month of the year in Colorado and so far we've only had one snowstorm (we had PLENTY of snow back in December and January!) I only hope it doesn't dump on us for Easter.

Enjoy your trip! It sounds wonderful!