Monday, September 17, 2007

Time is of the Essence

Do you ever wish you could "bank" sleep hours? I'm in the final hours of preparation for the ACFW conference and it seems as though something new has been added to my conference agenda every few minutes today. After author appointments. . .late-night chats. . .meal-time gatherings. . . contract presentations. . .panel discussions. . .banquets and special dinners. . .plus special get-togethers with good friends, I don't expect there will be many minutes left on the schedule to actually sleep. Oh, well. Maybe I can schedule a day to sleep sometime in October??? There's just so much to do and so little time in which to do it!
I feel a growing sense of urgency to be busy about the Lord's work as well--to do whatever I can to encourage the downtrodden and lead the lost to Him. The older I get, the more I realize how very little time I have to accomplish all I feel called to do for Him.


Jesus tells us in Matthew 24: 42-46: "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns."



Lord, I pray You find me faithful--a good steward of the time You've gifted to me. And maybe, just maybe, I can take a thousand-year nap once I cross over Jordan into eternity? Ah, that would be heaven to me!

3 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Susan, That's a beautiful post. Very wise. We have a lot of fun on this blog but once in a while it's good to talk about what we're all here for, writing for, editing for.
As a ministry. To encourage believers and spread the word to non-believers.
Thank you. Hang in there. The conference will be hectic...but fun.
Well, for me anyway!! :)

Nancy Mehl said...

Amen. It's important to keep in mind that although God wants our lives to be blessed and abundant, the most important task we have to accomplish in this life is to touch souls for Jesus Christ. Someday, our chance to do this will be over. There will be eons to rest but just this short time to impact the world.

Our heart's desire must be that whatever we do in this life will result in drawing the hearts of men and women toward their heavenly Father. There is no greater calling.

Susan said...

Yes, Nancy, we are blessed not for our own benefit so much as we are blessed TO BE A BLESSING! That lesson seems to be a sticking point for many of us American Christians these days, who carry our consumerism mentality over into the spiritual realm. Contrary to popular belief, we are NOT entitled to the benefits and blessings we now enjoy. What we hoard to ourselves will be taken from us and we'll be called to give an accounting for our poor investments. (See parable of talents--Matthew 25: 14-30.)
Whew, where did that sermon come from? LOL Excuse the early-morning rant. I now return to our regularly scheduled chaos. sd